top of page

How do I convert my foreign driver’s license into a Japanese one?

Updated: Sep 8, 2023

If you know how to drive and already have a driver's license from your home country, this is the fastest step but not the easiest way in getting your driver's license converted into Japanese one unless you have the knowledge of Japan Rules of Road and / or attended a 2~4 hours practical lesson at any driving schools in Japan.

For some talented or even lucky people, they can pass the practical exam in 1~2 shots but for the rest, it took ages wasting time and money going back and forth to the driving center.

  • What are the screening procedures?

  1. Pass the written exam of ten (10) True or False questions by getting a score of 7 or more.

  2. Pass the practical exam at the driving center's indoor course.

  • If you passed both, you get your Japan driver's license and it will be on the same day when you took and passed your practical exam.

  • What are the requirements?

  1. Your valid foreign driver's license

  2. Any documents to serve as a proof you stayed in the country or region where you obtained the foreign license exceeding three (3) consecutive months (e.g. passport - even expired one if it states the information there).

  3. A translation of your foreign driver's license from Japan Automobiles Federation (JAF) or your embassy.

  4. Official copy of your "Jyuminhyo" (Resident certificate).

  5. Your "Zairyu card" (Residence card).

  6. A recent photo of yours with 3 cm x 2.4 cm size.

  7. Payment: approximately 2,600 yen for regular motor vehicle.

  • Qualifications

  • 18 years old or older

  • Regular (ordinary) motorcycle license: 16 or older

  • You must have stayed in the country or region where you obtained the license for a total of three months or more since you got it.

  • Visual Acuity (Japanese scale)

  • Ordinary motor vehicle license/motorcycle licenses: 0.7 or better (both eyes) and 0.3 or better (each eye); or If the vision of one eye is under 0.3 or one eye has no vision, the visual field of the other eye must be 150 continuous degrees or more along the horizontal meridian and its vision 0.7 or better.

  • Exemptions

The list of 28 countries below are exempted from written examination and practical driving skills.

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Britain, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Holland, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Korea, Luxembourg, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Kingdom of Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United State of America (States of Ohio, States of Oregon, States of Colorado, States of Hawaii, States of Maryland and Washington only), and Taiwan.


If you need a driving training prior to your practical examination, please make a booking from our online system and select the appropriate service needed. Check this link for details.

If for some reason, the Driver's License Center did not allow you to proceed converting your foreign license, contact us to inquire about acquiring your Japan Driver's License attending driving lessons such as classroom-based and behind the wheels.

3,616 views1 comment
bottom of page